Blog Archive

Sunday 23 July 2023

BE AN ALLY THEY SAID…

I grew up next to a city. I believe I was a good child. I saw my parents struggle to put food on the table. I didn’t know it was any different from anybody else. Then in elementary schoolI had my classmates, yelling out, ‘wagon, burner,’ ‘squaw’, and other insidious remarks.struck my life, that’s my younger life, I had many non-indigenous friends. However, it didn’t occur to me what an ally was.

It’s one thing to ask somebody to be your ally. But for me, being in an indigenous woman, I wasn’t too sure. You see, it wasn’t my parents fault how they raised me. Nor was it my grandparents, fault, and how they raised my parents. Each generation was raised in Indian Residential School’s, and each generation was trained to obey and listen to what a person with white privilege had to say. 

As a child, I grew up hearing the word, or the question; “what color is God’s skin?” As a teenager I saw a book called “God is RED” it was later on in life that I started questioning the ways I was thinking. I just want you to understand I come from a different generation.First I questioned, why was it so easy to be converted to different religions throughout my life. It didn’t occur to me that it was the way in which my parents were taught in those Indian Residential School’s. When I take a look at the mentality of how a cult is run and I take a look at the horrors that my parents experienced. Then I had to take a serious look at my own intergenerational trauma. 

I was very complacent around on indigenous people. The analogy that I could say is if the queen were standing in front of me and said to me, jump 2 feet high, I would go down and say yes, your majesty. Are use this analogy in terms of how, without question listened to white privileged upper class non-indigenous people. It didn’t occur to me, but this is how I was treating my non-indigenous friends. Until I started being questioned about my own indigenous identity by a non-indigenous person. A person who I’ve known since elementary school . And I thought how does this non indigenous person know what it’s like to be an indigenous person living in a first nations community. This person had never lived in the first nation community. Why would I take their opinion as being a true understanding of addiction is identity ? 

You see it was their mindset that I had never questioned. And the dialogue that we had didn’t engage in any sort of pivotal moments. My non indigenous friend would never say, “my ancestors were not good people.” Needless to say to say, I stop being friends with my nonindigenous childhood friend. It when I hear any discussion, I have the other person, the ally, say my people are not good people.

An ally creates a space for me. The space is supportive, secure, and safe. It took me a while to truly engage in such discourse. For my ally friend, this was an easy process. It was an easy process because both of us paid each other respect and how we described and talked about our own lives. so you’ve got to understand that it’s refreshing when I hear people talk about what it is to be an ally. It’s important that the Ally hall space. I know it sounds like I’m very critical, but it’s very important. This whole concept of what is a good ally.  do you know if you’re good at life? 

“” BE AN ALLY! - I am often asked, “What is the best way to engage Indigenous Peoples?” This is often followed by, “We have a great idea that can benefit your people, we just need them to sign-on and we will share some of our profits!” First of all, you must directly communicate with Indigenous Peoples with a high degree of respect and understanding. Consideration must be given to the Indigenous People’s experience since colonization. Our people have been ridiculed, chastised and punished for being what the Creator intended them to be. Despite this, we remain open to relationships that are mutually beneficial. We want to be part of the economy and the social fabric of our territories. None of us ever aspire to be poor and marginalized. Secondly, never go to a community or village with a fully-baked idea. That is disrespectful on so many levels. If you want an Indigenous business partner, invest in the relationship. Do more than a desktop exercise. Go to the community, meet with the matriarchs, elders, leaders and people. Remain curious. Lead with questions. Listen intently. Act upon what you learn, not what you think the community needs or desires. Above all be a good person. The more self-kindness and self-compassion you can foster, the more equipped you’ll be to treat those around you the same way. Plus, doing good for others can give your life a deeper sense of meaning. It may even help to improve your physical and mental health. I know that many of my colleagues lives have been enriched with the Indigenous experience. Despite what has happened to us we remain open to working together, but it has to be done properly. Reach out if you want to have a conversation about how you can be an Indigenous ally!

#areyouanallyoranadversary“” http://linkedin.com/in/dan-george-2bb9aa59

No comments: