Blog Archive

Wednesday 19 July 2023

Traditional respect - I don’t expect non-indigenous people to practice this way of thinking or being

 Because of limerence behaviour occurring decade after decade from intergenerational trauma married men are not spoken to directly. 

For example, when I was a child I could talk directly to my older brother who I was close to; however, once he married i’d get messages to him through his wife. 

Another example, out of respect for my married female friends if I were to ask a question to her husband I would ask her to ask him.

Limerence is a deeper feeling than infatuation. When a married man show interest it doesn't mean he's in love with you; however, a person in limerence with that particular husband is stopped. Traditionally she would talk to his wife first to avoids any obsession created by two people interacting.

Limerence occurs in all societies. This is how we as traditional women honor and respect our friends & our brothers, uncles & male friends. It’s important to have balanced male energy in all relationships. 

It also works in reverse to for men who wish to talk to a man’s wife. As for me, being an elder, tobacco is offered. It’s offered so whomever the elder is; for example a man talking to me; he would learn something about himself through interacting with me. It’s reverse too for a young woman talking to an elder man. 

Whatever energy or influence I give off in any discourse I conduct myself is a teaching lesson. It’s understandable that we are human beings  our of respect one gives an elder tobacco & a gift as there’s an exchange. This exchange does happen when the younger person learns something about themselves through interacting with me 

If I give off to much emotional energy I apologize as it’s my way of coping with my own limerence. Intergenerational trauma.does go away. Hopefully by the time a human being becomes an elder they know their emotional triggers & know how to navigate through relapse and remain in recovery from this limerence  phase over a person or an object.  

I can only speak for myself in saying as I smudge myself & others it’s to protect them for me & in turn I am protecting them from my stories. You see when they hear what I am saying they perceive me as a strong, indigenous woman; whereas, I’m at my most vulnerable, as I am not present talking about traumatic stories. If I am seen as vulnerable then I am present & in the moment that opens me up to love another human being, such is healthy balanced life.

Postscript 

It’s like an unwritten way of knowing. My friends & in-laws know it & so do other tribes and reactive this way of life 

No comments: