Blog Archive

Friday 24 November 2017

Friday Nover 24, 2017

I have so much on my mind with my artist residency coming to an end soon. I need to prepare for the conclusion of my research and comments on what I've found out about the history of indigenous women within the city limits of Calgary, Alberta.

What I am going to explore is the murder of an indigenous woman name Rosaline. I don't know what tribe is came from, only that she was murdered here in this city. The trail went on and the man who murdered got off with any jail time served. Since there is a inquiry now open across Canada, it would be interesting to see just what the city did or did not do to get justice for her and her family.

Next week seems like a whole week of preparation of my Friday presentation. As this may turn out to be something that I wasn't really thinking of doing I may just switch gears. I was hoping to interview three women from my community; however, the way things are going for me with the archives I may focus on my sisterhood and their deaths.

I've done a art piece years ago that I could incorporate into my presentation. I just know its going to be very emotional and traumatic for me. This whole sense of self has so much to do with fear based feeling about living next of a major city. I know I live outside the city and I rarely see the homelessness of indigenous women on the streets; however, I know the women as if they were my sisters.

I have stored quite a few articles off the internet via my Facebook account. I'd need to review them, print them and source them on file in case anyone wish further clarification or references. I also, thought I would take a holiday during December, but that doesn't look at its going to happen. My priorities right now is to complete this project. It doesn't seem like much as most of the audience comes from this blog. I do have Facebook; however, the content there is personal in some ways.

A young Lakota man wrote on Facebook (Ohiyesa Locke) "American is not going to speak up for us, we can't be silent about the epidemic of Native Women Missing and Murdered. THEY CAN'T SPEAK SO SPEAK FOR THEM."
https://www.facebook.com/ohiyesa.locke/posts/10213854588094268
I believe I have felt this way my entire life. When people ask me what is it like to live in a First Nations Community or as USA calls it a Reservation, I say this. It's a constant battle to protect and focus on the positives of what was given to me as a blessing. Sometimes I feel like I am the opposite of everything or everyone. What some people say as in whose guiding them spiritually; they would say their grandparents keep their arm steady, as they walk forward in this life. I in my own way know I am different in that rather than just having my grandparents keeping my arm steady. I believe like most there are at least 10,000 grandparents keeping our hands steady. Early this morning, as I read a post on Facebook and saw this person's believe system has having only to ask one thing and that was for his grandparents to keep his arm steady. Maybe, its because I am of the female gender that I've had more fears of not being protected that I ask my grandfathers and grandmothers for many things like healing and protection. I also ask to the 10,000 to come when I pray. I ask for those whom I've loved to come help me heal and for now. I think in my prayers I am going to ask for the 100,000 million grandfathers and grandmothers to come help me, guide me, keep me steady. You may ask how did come up with such a high number. Well, here it goes.

logic says that from the time our ancestors were cannibals and roamed like wild animals 10,000 grandparents made us all who were are today. This being said, when I call on those who I've loved and those who've loved me to come protect and heal me or for me, it's those who have taken their journey home back into the great mystery. So, within my Indigenous family 100 million were murdered and missing. This means that no other race on this earth has had to many within one race be slaughtered. This means for me that 100 million grandfathers and grandmothers combined are here for me to call upon for protection and healing. In a spiritual sense this is the greatest blessing any one person could ever ask for in ones lifetime.

Upon seeing "White Buffalo Calf Woman" I felt such joy and wonder. I knew that the grandfathers and grandmothers were there. I knew that the great mystery they believed in was present. I know I can not change the way a person thinks or believes, as what I've come to understand is only now being acknowledged. Each one of us is connected to another. I hope and I pray for those that I can. I try to pray for myself and for my niece. Life is becoming too short. We need to understand ourselves first. This for me is the hardest thing to do. I think I understand.


No comments: